Does anyone know of a good guide for emerged growing? I want to grow some of my clippings in some tubs in the backyard for a couple of tanks that I have planned. I'm basically wondering how I should treat the clippings to get them to adapt from submerged to emerged and what sort of moisture level I need to aim for. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Phil

Tapatalk Note 3

You know its classed as cheating right?

Benny pointed out some fashionable carpeting plants like Glossostigma, Echinodoras tennelus, Lileaopsis brasiliensis and the then relatively new Hemianthus cuba. It was also growing immerse like the other plants, and Benny said that anyone who wants a carpet in the tank of say 120 x 60 cm/4’ x 2’ can simply turn up at the farm, get a carpet cut to size, roll it up like turf and take it home for an instant aquascape!

Fish farming in Singapore | Features | Practical Fishkeeping

Thanks. I've been wetting the plants every morning and night and the first tub is looking good. I started a second one yesterday with a bunch more clippings so I'll have to get a few pics and throw them up

Tapatalk Note 3

I've found a really good link on another forum on how to go about doing this. The general consensus seems to be that doing this sort of growing is slower than submerged as plants have to spend more energy on supporting themselves and retaining moisture. On the upside, there is less to worry about in terms of algae and co2 supplementation so it can be a great way to keep a "plant bank" or store those clippings you don't want to throw away. For me it will be a bit mainly a grow out area for my clippings and it will hopefully save me a couple of dollars in electricity since my tubs will be outdoors. As we are going in to winter the cold might be a bit of a problem but I may just leave the tubs in the sun during the day and move them indoors at night (we'll see how long I do this before getting sick of it). If anyone else has done this sort of thing, please share your experience/pictures.

Beginner's Guide to starting your first Emersed setup!! - Plant Physiology & Emersed Culture - Aquatic Plant Central

Cheers

Phil