Obeice

Breeding L numbers

So i am currently breeding common bn and just started peppermints, now i've made a couple mistakes breeding commons but learnt from them and got it sorted, so i've decided i'm going to build another rack 12x 2ft tanks to add to my fish room, i'll be building this in 2 weeks time, but what i thought i would do was get a topic going and learn as much as i can now about breeding L numbers as i decided if i go alright breeding the peppermints i'll start breeding L numbers also, hence the big rack. So i guess what i'm wondering is how hard are they to breed? How hard is it to raise successful batches of fry? And what does 1 need to do to get them successful? Thanks in advance guys :)

I find myself saying this more and more but there is seldom ever one answer to most aquarium related questions.

I found alot of L's are pretty easy to breed. Like so many fish, once you crack them they usually will just keep going for it. Likewise the fry are usually not difficult to raise, they're just catfish after all. But it's like any fish really, what's easy for some may not be so for others.

Of course there are alot of L's that can be very difficult to breed so i would advise you start with easier types. A few suggestions would be L002, 202, 397, 333, 066, 134. These all range from the pretty simple to the not particularly difficult category.

If you're buying young fish the first thing you need is patience. L's are not like bristlenose that will breed at a very young age. Most need to be AT LEAST 2 years old, many around 4.

Spend the time to get good fish. There is alot of junk around these days and personally i think we owe it to the hobby to breed as good a fish as we can instead of letting the quality deteriorate as has happened with too many fish over the last five or so years. Buy your brood stock from different sources. If you're buying fry don't just get 10 from one supplier and inbreed. Get a few from a few different, reputable breeders. You can always sell off the excess stock once you've decided on the ones you want to breed with.

A useful resource would be to purchase Back to natures guide to L numbers from AoA or Techy to help you better understand the fish you intend to breed.

HTH

I find myself saying this more and more but there is seldom ever one answer to most aquarium related questions.

I found alot of L's are pretty easy to breed. Like so many fish, once you crack them they usually will just keep going for it. Likewise the fry are usually not difficult to raise, they're just catfish after all. But it's like any fish really, what's easy for some may not be so for others.

Of course there are alot of L's that can be very difficult to breed so i would advise you start with easier types. A few suggestions would be L002, 202, 397, 333, 066, 134. These all range from the pretty simple to the not particularly difficult category.

If you're buying young fish the first thing you need is patience. L's are not like bristlenose that will breed at a very young age. Most need to be AT LEAST 2 years old, many around 4.

Spend the time to get good fish. There is alot of junk around these days and personally i think we owe it to the hobby to breed as good a fish as we can instead of letting the quality deteriorate as has happened with too many fish over the last five or so years. Buy your brood stock from different sources. If you're buying fry don't just get 10 from one supplier and inbreed. Get a few from a few different, reputable breeders. You can always sell off the excess stock once you've decided on the ones you want to breed with.

A useful resource would be to purchase Back to natures guide to L numbers from AoA or Techy to help you better understand the fish you intend to breed.

HTH

Awesome i'll stop in at AOA nxt week and pick that book up sounds like it could be real handy, i'm breeding africans atm i'm attempting to line breed them also like you said there is alot of poor quality fish around atm. Thanks so much for the advice :)

Are you going to sump the system or have them running separately? The BTN book is a good one too, here is what it looks like and click on the link for a blurb about it.

Back to Nature Guide to L-Catfish

BTN-LCat-2.jpg?1383837554

I'm thinking about sumping it, just trying to wprk out the most cost effective way i'm thinking with sump i'm only running the 1 pump and can stick 1 heater in the sump as opposed to 12 heaters seperatley. Any advice on that would be appreciated? Awesome thanks mate i'll check it out

Sump is a better option IMO, but they have some downside being disease control and noise if it's in a living space it can get a bit much. However both can be lessened by proper sump design and quarinteen.