saundma

Best heater for 700l aquarium?

Hi everyone.

I have just finished putting together my new 700l african setup. I have tried my best to get quality hardware (within reason) only using brands I trust. The heater I chose to go with is the Eheim Jager 300. My question is what do you think is the best possible heater for my setup? It's taken me a long time to put together my fish collection and way to much $$ lol so I need a heater that I can trust. I know the Eheim Jagers are good but is there anything better?

Thanks in advance for your help :)

300w jager is going to be the cheapest in power to run for the amount of water in the tank.

If you were worried about the heater failing for any reason you could always buy another and have it in there as a back up.

In theory it will be 600w of power, but only when they are heating.

300w jager is going to be the cheapest in power to run for the amount of water in the tank.

If you were worried about the heater failing for any reason you could always buy another and have it in there as a back up.

In theory it will be 600w of power, but only when they are heating.

Doesn't matter what brand you use they all consume the same amount of power to heat 700 litres. Weather is be jäger or aqua one 300 watt is 300 watt both will take the same time to achieve the same temperature the only difference will be the accuracy of the temperature control unit within the heater.

The specifications on the box itself is a very rough guide only for the recommended size aquarium it can heat.

If the tank is inside your house and it is well insulated and your keeping the tank around 24-26 degrees a 300 watt heater will more then suffice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by bazz

I tend to disagree with you there Bazz, simply because I needed 2 300W aqua ones to keep my temp up in the winter and just 1 ehiem Jäger will do the job now. It has a longer heating element in it and heats more water than other 300watt heaters.

I tend to disagree with you there Bazz, simply because I needed 2 300W aqua ones to keep my temp up in the winter and just 1 ehiem Jäger will do the job now. It has a longer heating element in it and heats more water than other 300watt heaters.

No the watts density is greater however it uses the same amount of electricity to heat the water from A to B regardless of the heater/element your using.

The jäger heaters have more surface area allowing the heat to dispurse over a greater area. Has no benefit to energy consumption.

All of the above is only true if the entire heater is submersed entirely.

Heat is different to light, LEDs can produce more light per wattage compared to incandescent light bulbs. However that is not the case for heaters 300 watt is 300 watt doesn't matter what brand or size.

I have actually found jäger heater to have declined in quality these last few years. Fill up with moisture and the temp control is way off mark. Never use a heaters temp control to monitor your tank water it can fail at any time and they generally have a big tolerance, always have a second method of measuring your tank temperature.

I work in the field of heating water and have tested many elements and heaters. Energy saving is a big part of our industry.

Edited by bazz

No the watts density is greater however it uses the same amount of electricity to heat the water from A to B regardless of the heater/element your using.

Yes 300w heaters will use 300 watts of power when heating the tank regardless of brand.

to say all brands a equal all will heat the same volume of water at the same time would be incorrect.

Aqua one heaters are rated at 1 watt for every litre of water.

Eheim jager 300 is rated for 600-1000 litres, meaning at the bare minimum it is rated 1 watt for every 2 litres.

I understand where you're coming from. But if a companies product is able to heat twice as much as advertised. Why wouldn't they promote that?

Yes 300w heaters will use 300 watts of power when heating the tank regardless of brand.

to say all brands a equal all will heat the same volume of water at the same time would be incorrect.

Aqua one heaters are rated at 1 watt for every litre of water.

Eheim jager 300 is rated for 600-1000 litres, meaning at the bare minimum it is rated 1 watt for every 2 litres.

I understand where you're coming from. But if a companies product is able to heat twice as much as advertised. Why wouldn't they promote that?

It's simple marketing, so people that don't understand how it works think their product is superior to another.

It's all marketing how can they put 600-1000 litres if the ambient temperature is already at the required temperature a 300 watt heater could heat 100,000 litres of water in that case.

It's a rough guide which depends a lot on the ambient temperature.

If the ambient temperature is 5 degrees how can it heat 600-1000 litres? It can't.

1 watt is 1 watt. It has the same energy regardless of what brand is written on the side of it.

Edited by bazz

I bought a Eheim Jaeger 300w for my 840lt tank around 10 days ago & it works really well. Keeps the water at 27 deg nicely. My tank is inside & we have an insulated home. I have it near the outlets of my canister & HOB filters.

It's simple marketing, so people that don't understand how it works think their product is superior to another.

It's all marketing how can they put 600-1000 litres if the ambient temperature is already at the required temperature a 300 watt heater could heat 100,000 litres of water in that case.

It's a rough guide which depends a lot on the ambient temperature.

If the ambient temperature is 5 degrees how can it heat 600-1000 litres? It can't.

1 watt is 1 watt. It has the same energy regardless of what brand is written on the side of it.

The rating for the Eheim 300w is set out in their manual and what it is based on.

https://www.eheim.com/resources/product//485/downloads/11/EHEIM_aquarium_heater_25_-_300_manual.pdf

On page two is the rating and on page 7 it mentions "These are standard ratings for closed aquariums with an ambient room temperature of 21°C/70°F and a desired water temperature of up to 26°C/79°F."

Most aquarium heaters will base their rating on 5 degrees difference between the ambient temp and the required tank temp.

Personally if money was not an issue would go the Schego Titanium Heater.

The rating for the Eheim 300w is set out in their manual and what it is based on.

https://www.eheim.com/resources/product//485/downloads/11/EHEIM_aquarium_heater_25_-_300_manual.pdf

On page two is the rating and on page 7 it mentions "These are standard ratings for closed aquariums with an ambient room temperature of 21°C/70°F and a desired water temperature of up to 26°C/79°F."

Most aquarium heaters will base their rating on 5 degrees difference between the ambient temp and the required tank temp.

Personally if money was not an issue would go the Schego Titanium Heater.

Thanks tech den you will find that other brands of heaters will achieve the same results as the jäger in the same conditions.

The other brands may have based their results on different conditions

Thanks tech den you will find that other brands of heaters will achieve the same results as the jäger in the same conditions.

The other brands may have based their results on different conditions

That's the funny part - they actually do rate them differently with the various brands.

That's the funny part - they actually do rate them differently with the various brands.

Yeah you also have to look at that from a sales point of view. Aqua one may have dropped the litres their heater can handle to potentially sell more heaters and/or to help the customers from avoiding disasters by allowing more heater then the tank requires to prevent the tank from running to cold.

If joe blogs walked into a LFS store and they only stocked aqua one heaters and he is heating a 600 litre tank as per aqua ones recommendation he would be leaving the store with two heaters rather then one. Although it would work against them if they had the option of an eheim.

I have no affiliation with any aquarium heating company but I do manufacture heating elements and products that heat water in Brisbane.

I heat my 700 litre tanks with a 300w eheim at either end. Heaters are NOT something to skimp on, and these are basic, quality heaters. No bells and whistles, just peace of mind :-)

Wouldn't surface area and efficiency play a part of it? If a heater has twice the surface area would it not have the potential for better heating? With the rating of some of the other brands they do happen to have smaller surface area and also do rate at the same 5 degree difference?

The jäger heaters have more surface area allowing the heat to dispurse over a greater area. Has no benefit to energy consumption.

All of the above is only true if the entire heater is submersed entirely.

Heat is different to light, LEDs can produce more light per wattage compared to incandescent light bulbs. However that is not the case for heaters 300 watt is 300 watt doesn't matter what brand or size.

The 300 watt is 300 watt but like mentioned is has a greater surface area meaning it will heat said tank quicker, and therefor turn off quicker and not run as long so will save power that way. Example jäger might take 1 hour to heat to desired temp aqua one might take 1 hour 20 meaning heater is running for 20 minutes longer at 300 watts. Unsure what you mean only true if heater is fully submersed.

Wouldn't surface area and efficiency play a part of it? If a heater has twice the surface area would it not have the potential for better heating? With the rating of some of the other brands they do happen to have smaller surface area and also do rate at the same 5 degree difference?

Surface area only becomes and issue when there is too much power. At 300 watt there is no difference between the aqua one nor the eheim, if they produce steam then there is energy wastage if not nothing to worry about. Kettles for example have this problem very small elements with large wattage

I'm with BAZZ with regards to heating consumption and it's good to see the relative heat (compared to temperature outside tank) is being mentioned. The accuracy of heater and reliability of heater are different aspects than the electrical consumption and efficiency. Jager heaters are supposed to be very good at those aspects too but I have noticed they are not as good as the old solid green Jagers. One thing I do like is the 2mm thick robust glass chamber.

The most accurate heater I have used is the hydor inline heater although these go outside the tank.

I would be more worried about a heater sticking on and cooking your fish than a heater failing and the tank loses heat. The first will kill fish fast but the second will give you days of time on a 700L tank to notice and your fish probably won't even get sick.

X2 on the hydor being accurate, you set it to 30 and it was 30, good heaters. Regarding accuracy, eheim jäger aren't that accurate from what I found and having to calibrate a heater is just dumb. They were better when they were jäger not eheim jäger. There's heater and then there's a schego

Schego 600w Heater with Nema Controller suitable for fresh or saltwater aquariums Aquariums