Sign in to follow this  
Grainsburger

QUICK SURVEY - FISH DEATH AFTER SALE

Tell me if I am being harsh ......

After selling 100's of one particular type of bristlenose I took a call from a very unhappy customer today - for the first time ever.

26 hours ago I sold 10 juvies to someone who just called to say that 6 had died of bloat and that they wanted replacements or cash back.

In the batch they came from I have lost a total of 1 fish in 2 months and all I have left are doing well. I have sold 40 fish from the batch and have not heard of any issues from other customers.

I asked the customer did they check the PH before introducing them to their new tank - answer - "No because they are in the same water"

This answer confused me as I sold them in a small bag.

They then said that they are and have been in this bucket since their purchase 26 hours prior and through a 30 deg day.

I asked if they had a heating source or any aeration - answer "No and I have kept fish like this before"

I was taken aback by this treatment of these fish and how I was blamed for selling fish with bloat. I suggested he call any LFS and ask them if they felt that such conditions would likely kill these fish. They dismissed this suggestion.

I declined their request for replacement fish or refund and they became very very abusive.

Am I right in saying the death of these fish is almost certainly not my fault and that no refund or replacement is appropriate ?

I would love to hear your very honest thoughts.

Cheers

G

no heater filter and in a bucket for 24-26 hrs i'd tellem to go f**k off and not bother calling back

thats 1 of the more interesting things ive heard in a while ,,,,,,,,,,,,, bloat doesn't hit over night and kill in a instant like this person has said ,,,,,,,,,,, their claims r a touch out there as far as i can tell

i know from my personal experiences at the auctions a fish will live in a bag for 12 or more hours but i wouldn't think 24 hrs

i dont know thats my 2 cents worth but good luck resolving the issue

Buyers problem, and it actually disgusts me that they'd keep fish "in transit" like this for such a prolonged amount of time.

I wouldn't do business with them again.

Hi there G.

I have bought juvies from you in the past & have never lost a fish. Why would one leave in a bucket for many hours with no

aeration or oxygen....has me baffled. :roll: Where's the common sense ?????

You are NOT to blame in this instance G.

Do us all a favour.Keep breeding these little guys.

Cheers Shorty. :fish:

The age old question

what can you do

your fish are healthy you havent lost any stock to speak of and yet probably feel guilty that the fish died

my 2 cents are

huge water changes kills fihs in 3-5 days very rarely do fish drop over dead in a day

keeping fish in unaerated water is horrible unless your introducing new water a bit every 1/2 hour or so This treatment will kill a fish a lot quicker than anything else

if a fish were to die of bloat in 24 hours it would be evident at time of purchase actually bloating is about the last sign and will last days before the fish dies

Let you conscience lead the way No one like to have someone angry at them

peter

ohhhhhh just a btw Ive heard of reputable people who have fish shipped to them and then claim that the fish died in transit. When asked for proof of deaths eg photos of dead fish in bag or the like plead off. Obviously a scam to rip seller off. Im not implying this is the case, rather im just suggesting that some people think a bit differently to the rest.

Also is this person known to you, there are some people I trust and would take their word for it

In this case it is the buyers resposibility leaving fish with no aeration or filtration for that period of time in a bucket is let me say just plain flippin stupidity, Ok bagged with oxygen and the likes no problem.

I have in the past replaced fish that have died for people that was not any fault of mine but this was just to keep peace.

Lets hope this buyer is not a member of the forum. As stated now I always ask for photoes and only offer a 24hour maximum replacement.

The majority of the time I will hand deliver the fish to make sure they are perfect on arrival.

The care and welfare of these fish during transit is nothing more than cruel..and at best animal neglect

I am sure the RSPCA would love to hear of a case cruelty to animals like this one

It has become more and more clear to me that some people in this hobby only see fish as money making things,and there welfare is secondary to their profit, call it altruistic but where did these people loose the passion and only follow the dollar

Sorry but i feel the death of any animal in my care and take it very personally

My 2cents worth

to be honest... i wont even bother calling someone if i have had a death in transit over two hours... if i am going to be transporting fish for a long time i always take a bucket and air pump and a bottle of prime just in case

Hi,

I think you should stand your ground, obviously your fish are well looked after and the buyer needs to assume all responsibility after the stock has been purchased. Similar to one of my fish dying a little while ago, I don't go and get abusive at the place I bought it from just because it died, obviously there was something not quite right with my water conditions and the fish was unable to adapt. Similar situation here. Sometimes people need to be told that it is THEIR fault, and not yours, and there are many people who will never accept that they were wrong. Don't back down mate, you have a fair case.

To the person that bought these fish.

How do fish breathe? answer oxygenated water. How quick will a bucket of water heat up in 30 degree heat? answer not long. So next time you do this to fish try selling yourself in a room in direct sunlight and see how long you last in there. Sorry but that was wrong how you treated those bristlenose. Please learn about fish and the type of fish you buy or at least learn the basics of all fish.

I agree I dont think you had any fault in these fish dieing

Was this a person or shop or had bought alot in the past or possibly in the future?

Its upto you where you stand regarding any replacements though I can see your point and think your right in this situation and wouldnt replace them

I have replaced fish in the past when I know for sure the customer had caused it

This is different for myself being a shop but you can see where I am coming from

Never would I give cash back in this situation though

In this situation I dont think I could even replace the fish for the customer as they are more then likely going to die again as they dont seem to have much idea of keeping fish alive in the first place

Brad

Am I right in saying the death of these fish is almost certainly not my fault and that no refund or replacement is appropriate ?

100% right.. obviously they had NO IDEA what they were doing... or they were 'scammers' as earlier mentioned.

Don't waste your time worrying about them being angry at you. They should be angry at themselves. :irked:

Sad to see your 'babies' treated so poorly :esad:

Jaynee :flower:

mate i have a 30L esky i travel fish in with 2 air pumps on it just from brissy to home ( 1 1/2 hour trip ) but leaving them for that long and expecting them to live what were they thinking? Mate right it off as a poor customer not u r fault

Terry

Unfortunatly , we live in a "not my fault" society. I only hope that the only good that has come out of this is that those idiots have learnt that poorly treated fish die. I guess the best thing to do, when you sell fish to someone you dont know, is assume they are dumb and inform them to get the fish settled in their new home asap. It covers your arse in situations like this. Happy, healthy fish to you all. Tony

Would you mind pm'ing me the name of this buyer?

I wish to know becasue I dont care to see my fish treated like this. Ever. Such an attitude is not conducive to compassion due to inexpereince so I wish to give no chances to this individual.

B/n can survive on a wet road. Methinks he took great efforts to kill them....... FAIL!

Sign in to follow this