Sign in to follow this  
amoi

Air bubbles in peppermint fry belly???

Im not sure what has happened here and was hoping someone could give me a bit of an idea... the situation wasn't ideal but it was the best option I had at the time. I'd rather know if I did something wrong so it doesnt happen again.

I bought 10 peppermint fry Saturday afternoon from the North Brisbane area. When I got them they were in a plastic bag, some were 3cms, others were lucky to be 1.5cm. As I wasnt heading back to Kingaroy till today I emptied the bag into a bucket and put a bit more rain water into the bucket as well. The bucket has only ever been used for fish.

I didnt have any air stones or anything in but I changed about 30% of the water this morning with rain water again. This afternoon when I went to leave I found that 8 had died and had bloated guts and what looked to be air bubbles in them. Ive got a photo...

I did the same thing with a pair of Orange Spots (breeding size) and they are fine and have settled in really well. They were in different buckets.

Any ideas???? Its just a little upsetting as I'd been wanting peppermints for ages and this goes and happens :(

deadpeppermint.jpg

Cheers

Amy

first off you should have been prepared to transport the fish alot better than you have if you were going to be traveling that far and a 20 ltr bucket with cycled water and a sponge filter a battery air pump and if staying somewhere over night a powered pump would have done wonders (a pre cycled sponge filter )

the 1.5 cm fish you could have said hey look these fish are not the size i agreed to buy i dont want them at all i only want the 3 cm fry i agreed to buy these are under size

rain water is not ideal to use it contains many chemicals from pollution

preparation is the key to transporting fish of any size

as for the air bubbles in the stomach i have not idea cant help you on that

You would have been better off leaving them in bags in a styro box. If bagged properly without o2 most fish can be in the bag 24hrs easy, exclusion of larger fish.

I'd say it's caused by stress - the fish came from a healthy tank then put into a bucket with varying temps etc and different water has put them in shock and died.

Juvieniles can be touchy so it's best to get them home asap.

Thanks for your replies.

They would have just been taken home the same day except for an unexpected death in the family. Poor timing I guess which just made the whole thing traumatic which of course got the boyfriend a little ticked off over the fish.

Lesson learnt.

Cheers

Amy

wow i thought i was the only person to have this happen to! i was moving some 3cm pepps from a bucket to the tank - being slightly fustrated with them evading the net i just picked them up and put them in the tank, unfortunatly one of them did "swallow" an air bubble, you could actually see/move the bubble around in its stomach. i tried my best to gently move the bubble out but he died about a minute afterwards.

:(

this air bubble in the stomach i think is not from the fish swallowing air, judging from the picture amy posted i lost 80+ fry to in 4 days, and i came to the conclusion that it was from high nitrates and armonia in the water, i say that they were in some not so good water before you bought them amy unfortunately,

as for the rain water ive done water changes one 2 day old fry with egg sack and never slot any from changing tanks to droping temp 4 degrees, but when i lost my 80+ fry i did a lot of test and found that the armonia and nitrates that gathered up in the fry tank somehow were the cause of this,

i have neva seen it before for any of my batches but for some reason i got hit with this in my last batch, it effected fry from 2c -4 cm they would just sit up close asif they were gasping for air, but wouldnt touch the surface then pop some even of there tummies exploded

it was very sad as there was nothing i coul do to save them

- my 2 cents

Lee

i think it is him swallowing an air bubble.

I have a large albino thats about 6cm long and i have just noticed that he looks visably bloated from underneath...

He seems to be fine though, so perhaps its only the young ones that it affects to the point of death..

I assume he got it while climbing over the flymesh in the tank to get into the sump overflow box at the back which is full of yummy algae lol.

I hope he doesnt die, that would suck

sometimes just 1 other times a few or all

also take a look at the amount of protein in the food your giving them it may be the cause of it if its too high do you have wood in the tank they need it for their digestive system

Sign in to follow this