Hello,

I have a 4 foot tank, which is 2 feet deep, and is well planted. I have co2 bubbling in, good substrate and a regular fertilising regime. Can somebody please recommend a good lighting setup. I currently have 4 t5s, which give off a more yellow light. Tubes are supposed to be for plants, but am a little uncomfortable with the yellow hue. Is there any LED solution that would provide a good environment for the tank depth? I cannot hang from the ceiling and would need to attach to the tank hood.

Thanks for your help.

Steve

I just did the google & youtube looksie & they are a nice unit!!! Immensely powerful for their size. Retailing for $225.00 each.

They sure do look great. So tempting but, based on the video below, I'd need 8 of them for two 4ft setups which are currently running a double and quad t5s. Hmm... What else to sell ;)

Yep beams require a different strategy than bar lights, but they do allow for some very sweet patches of high light plants surrounded by medium ones.

Very good for a hc lawn.........

+ you get the shimmer man

Chicks love the shimmer :D

As to what else we have....... we have it all.

Can you give some boundaries such as specific plant species you want to grow, or even budget.

just to help narrow it down it a bit.

You could build a custom led setup... they are pretty easy to do...then order a dimmer controller for sunrise and sunset..... whole thing would only cost you 300 and you could grow anything!

You could build a custom led setup... they are pretty easy to do...then order a dimmer controller for sunrise and sunset..... whole thing would only cost you 300 and you could grow anything!

Where do you source your cob and drivers? I wanted to do this for my 4ft but it was pretty expensive after shipping was added from the US. I ended up going the LED floodlight route which I'm really happy with but it's not as clean looking as some of the other options would be.

Tapatalk Note 3

I get mine from a company in victoria... cutter.com.au

You can use the buckblock drivers...

I have 2 buckblock 2100mA running 8 xml series 2.... they can do 5 leds each.... or if ypu don't want sunrise and sunset you could buy an ac led driver... they do up to 16 leds in serial... or you can run the setups in parallel..... they aren't very expensive but you'll need to have a timer on those.

The led controllers thougb have to come from the states and a dim4 will set you back a hundred with shipping

Horses for courses and all that.

Ive got great results with ebay led floods which you can pick up for roughly 2 watts worth per dollar with a variety of sizes. They arnt as pretty and you need to do a little diy (which I enjoy) but compare to the watts per dollar value of these brandname ones and it is an easy choice to me.

Cleaned up keep to topic

I like the clean up, but why did you delete my posts answering the questions about using the ecotech radion LED's?

Can't see how they were not on topic. Will it upset you if I repost their gist?

How would ecotech marine radion lights work on a planted tank?

Steve

[MENTION=6158]beencees[/MENTION]

If you don't mind could you also repost the info you put up about the links to DIY kits and the other comparable lights you mentioned? I can't remember the names or details. Getting old :(

Cheers,

Rob

Post the relative info back up if you like.Ray and I both went to clean at the same time and Don't know for why some were removed but guessing due to links or quotes from deleted posts.

Can we get some actual firm guidlines on which links will get our posts deleted then?

As none of them were to discussion forums or any of the other reasons usually given.

Unless you count a companies facebook page?

1.9 Links to other websites that present information relevant to the discussion at hand are permitted, providing the website in question does not contain inappropriate content, and is not a discussion forum.

This is the rule about links. There was no problem with the links, just a problem with the bickering.

This is the rule about links. There was no problem with the links, just a problem with the bickering.

Good.

Because I am going to post the exact posts I did last night, minus the statement it took me 5 minutes to find the links.

And thats because answering this querie about radions on freshwater planted tanks has now eaten up a lot more than 5 minutes of my time lol.

rad2_zps78ef6ea4.jpg

5180ec4283e34.jpg

Aquascaping with a shallow aquarium | Features | Practical Fishkeeping

6197_624323174244886_1423986168_n.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=624323174244886&set=a.157090484301493.31832.151328168211058&type=1&relevant_count=1

Have you tried a Radion on your freshwater planted set-up? We have a special Nat… | EcoTech Marine

11777083884_bbc54c81d0.jpg

Ecotech Marine Radion XR30w Pro -- Guitarfish

Are we good, or am I not getting something here?

Spent a long time now doing some unbiased research on LED lighting for planted tanks. There are definitely a few good options out there at surprisingly good prices ($80-$200) that seem to be getting results equal or usually better than $800 Radions and using much less wattage in the process. Alot of this is no doubt down to the fact that they are designed specifically for plants.

There are many offerings from these two manufacturers but the ones i have found that are doing the business are: Finnex Fugeray Planted+ and Finnex Ray2 and Green Element Evo.

You will need to spend a little time working out which are the most suitable to any given tank but hey, i'm not going to do all the work for ya's and the information is all there online if you have a looksee.

I know Finnex does not have an official Aus. distributor but they can be shipped to Aus. quite cheaply ($170 for a 48in Planted+). Try ebay or better still Amazon.

If you want the bees knees check out buildmyled. These are really impressive bits of kit and from those i have spoken to and the tanks i have seen running them. They can certainly give you all the lighting solutions you could ever dream of for your planted tank. A bit pricier but still good value for what you get IMO

I had a good look at Finnex over the last two nights and i admit they look the goods for the price.

I have sent them an email about the possibility of becoming their Australian distributor.

I am used to getting approvals for all sorts of items so it will not be an issue for me.

If the deal comes together Beencees i will buy you a beer :clap2:

I also have the full range of Kessil LED's arriving at the end of this week also which will be exciting. Our pricing will be comparable to the USA retail.

Ben :blabla:

Finnex's public liability currently does not extend to Australia but i sincerely hope you can convince them they should change that.

I will hold off on further purchaces for the mo until i hear from you. Bryan normally doesn't take too long to respond.

Damn you Ben.

I only have so much free time (none really) so to this point have only had a chance to do any thourough research on about half a dozen LED manufacturers.

Now you've gone and got me curious about Kessil's which is only going to add to the late nights *sigh*