Titan are just as bad IMO. The thermostat in the Titans are very unreliable.

The only decent heater these days are Schego IMO.

I don't have any knowledge on the power usages between particular brands or the sciences behind all the differences but I can honestly say I've never purchased and expensive heater. I buy the good old AquaOne or more recently the PetWerx variety from the Tech Den for something like $18 for 300w unit and at that price I just chuck em and replace them every 12 months.

Be it that I've been lucky or not (touch wood) I don't know but I've had only one fail on me and crack in my entire history of fish keeping (maybe 10years or more).... Some people have better luck then others when it comes to the reliability of hardware I think and from what I'm reading all those big name heaters still have a multitude of faults so buying the name doesn't nessecarily buy you assurance from what I can see. I also beleive a lot of gadgets are built with these sleek futuristic designs and pretty lights and dials and crap to simply compete for sales in the industry and others may fall prey to that "keeping up with the jones" type of outlook to the wiz bang big names (you call that a gun?! This is a gun!) in saying all that though I don't have 1000s and 1000s of dollars worth of fish or elaborate set ups either so I have never the need to go looking for all the bells and whistles. I have never had a power bill outside of an expected range over winter either with the cheaper units.

This is funny, my shogun 500 has outlasted my eheim jager 300. I find the shogun an awesome heater, I did find that calcium/algae build up over the probes at the top will prevent the heater from activating, it will recognise as being out of water and remain switched off. A good clean and the heater works perfect as new.

If it makes a difference mine is always in the recommended upright position, not diagonal or horizontal in the tank.

Titan are just as bad IMO. The thermostat in the Titans are very unreliable.

The only decent heater these days are Schego IMO.

Wow i have experienced the opposite amazed at how the titan holds the water temp at exactly the temperate i set... I use a digital thermometer and it gets it to the exact decimal point haha... But that could just be good luck having only owned this one

Cant argue with u about schego though... They are without a doubt the champions

hmmmm I use a wood fired pot belly stove on one fish room (160 tanks) with a small desk fan to circulate air/heat. If it's a cold winter, I fill the stove right up with wood and let it slow burn through the night. If it's a cool winter, I half fill the stove and let it slow burn through the night. If it gets too hot (extremely rare) I crack open one small window. The room is insulated and temperature only varies about 8 degrees from coldest to hottest on my max-min thermometer. The fish seem to enjoy the variation.

well **** eh I had heard such good things as this post thread starts out and looks like within a year they just crap themselves oh well, trying the inline hydors now

well **** eh I had heard such good things as this post thread starts out and looks like within a year they just crap themselves oh well' date=' trying the inline hydors now[/quote']

I was advised a few times not to get them either. They burn out apparently.