Hi all, just done a midweek test on all my tanks starting with a couple of Africans.

Ph,Gh,Kh,nitrite all fine, nitrate 160 OH 5HIT!!

Ok tested shrimp tanks all good but nitrate 160, hard to believe with the types of shrimp all happily breeding away.

Tested fully planted tank again nitrate 160.

I think it's time to stop using dip testers lol.

Cheers mick

Strips are not worth it. Once they are opened and exposed to air and moisture they deteriorate quickly. As for the API nitrate test the #2 test solution for the nitrate test contains a suspended powder. If not used for a while it can settle to the bottom. Pays to give the bottle a tap on something and a good shake before each use otherwise it can give false readings.

Retested everything again today with a different kit. All tanks between 0-10 nitrate.

Thanks for the ideas, not sure what test kit I will get.

Cheers mick

Have heard of people having trouble with API Nitrate. As Lee-cee said , it's just that bottle #2 requires a good shake. I use the master kit on my tanks, freshwater master kit $27 off guppys.

Never had any trouble myself with API kits, used them for ages & ages no probs. all bottles need a good shake but as said above bottle no.2 of the nitrate test needs a really vigorous 30sec-1min shake at least (never had problems with 30sec but I give it hell lol). Also leave the chems to react for a min or 2 after mixing before taking the reading, takes a min to fully react.

API is the only one I trust now & yeah the strips are pretty useless & really inaccurate IME, maybe they got a bit better in the 10odd yrs since I used em but not from what I've heard...

Edited by BigPete86

Its a pain if you need a test kit for your test kit..lol

The strips are quick but generally find better results with the regent kits. The strips can give issues with results from contamination from one point to the other and try and keep them horizontal to help prevent water going from one reading to another.

It is a little more expensive than the API Master test kit but I have found the Sera Aqua-Test Box to be far more accurate, reliable and of a much higher quality (tubes ext.) than most.

Also contains several more tests than most of the other kits.