lilviss

Can a canister filter side beside the tank?

[MENTION=5428]ozmo[/MENTION] and [MENTION=5455]Donny[/MENTION] how that in regards to head height and whatnot?

And i want to try an eheim classic but would grab an aquel if the classic wouldn't be suitable

The impeller/motor on a canister is designed to push water, not pull so make sure the impellar/motor sits below the water level of the tank. Otherwise, it may not restart after a power outage. The less vertical distance it has to push, the better the canister water flow. I make a small hang on shelf to keep canisters closer to the tank's water level. Especially if you are filtering a 2 or 3 tier rack.

The impeller/motor on a canister is designed to push water, not pull so make sure the impellar/motor sits below the water level of the tank. Otherwise, it may not restart after a power outage. The less vertical distance it has to push, the better the canister water flow. I make a small hang on shelf to keep canisters closer to the tank's water level. Especially if you are filtering a 2 or 3 tier rack.

You actually see those little hang on basket shelves for the real small low wattage canisters.

They have basically no head height, so without them you get very little flow.

1562871_f520.jpg

I have had to put canisters on milk crates before when I find I have hoses too short lol

[ATTACH=CONFIG]51611[/ATTACH]

This is the setup i would have

Please excuse dodgy paint skills

This is due to limited space

I only have room for a 2ft tank and need to keep it looking nice

Have a similar setup but using 2x 2215. The intake is the bottom of the canister so gravity feeds water to it. I think the motor only pushes water back to tank and doesn't suck it.