a.andrew

Small pest snails on subwassertang

Hi guys,

Can anyone suggest the best way to kill off small pest snails on subwassertang? I will be soaking the subwassertang before I use it in a new tank. A fast and effective method would be great.

I was thinking gassing the crap out of a small bucket with co2. But from memory snails can survive without oxygen for a while. Also thought about glutaraldehyde but don't sent to damage the subwassertang. Have also considered using copper. I would use the method of no planaria, however this method takes three days!!!

Thanks,

Andrew

no planaria has worked well for me, i still get some snails but occasional light dosing of no planaria keeps the numbers right down.

Soda water can work although doesn't kill the eggs.

Sadly i had no luck at all with the No Planaria no matter how long or heavy i dosed it:noidea:

The only method i know that absolutely works and kills all snails and eggs is soaking in a bucket of water with Potassium permanganate and Alum (aluminium sulphate). Kills all snails and their eggs.

Soda water can work although doesn't kill the eggs.

Sadly i had no luck at all with the No Planaria no matter how long or heavy i dosed it:noidea:

The only method i know that absolutely works and kills all snails and eggs is soaking in a bucket of water with Potassium permanganate and Alum (aluminium sulphate). Kills all snails and their eggs.

Am I able to purchase some off you at all? And how long would I need to soak it for?

You can get the Potassium permanganate from a chemist. It's in the disinfectant section with the Dettol and stuff. About ten bucks for a little container of it. The Alum is also sold as "Drop out" at pool shops and costs ten or fifteen for a big bag of it.

Get a bucket and put half a teaspoon of the pot. per. in (it stains purple so do it in the laundry or outside) and a tablespoon of Alum. Soak plants for 20 minutes, rinse well and away you go.

I've accidentally forgotten plants that i've had soaking in this and left them in it for 4 hours and all survived just fine including HC and Peacock moss so it doesn't seem to be too nasty to the plants although i'm sure they don't exactly love it but a good 20 minutes should do you just fine.

You can get the Potassium permanganate from a chemist. It's in the disinfectant section with the Dettol and stuff. About ten bucks for a little container of it. The Alum is also sold as "Drop out" at pool shops and costs ten or fifteen for a big bag of it.

Get a bucket and put half a teaspoon of the pot. per. in (it stains purple so do it in the laundry or outside) and a tablespoon of Alum. Soak plants for 20 minutes, rinse well and away you go.

I've accidentally forgotten plants that i've had soaking in this and left them in it for 4 hours and all survived just fine including HC and Peacock moss so it doesn't seem to be too nasty to the plants although i'm sure they don't exactly love it but a good 20 minutes should do you just fine.

Thanking you. Will hunt these products down tomorrow.

Ok, so I have finally got around to soaking the Subwassertang.. Should've went with my gut instinct to not soak for the full 20mins.. but I did.

Boy oh boy oh boy.. MISTAKE!! Didn't quite melt the plant, however I would say 70%-80% went brown.. but it is still alive (guessing so as it's still holding its shape and only breaking when I pull it enough.. (like normal)). On the bright side, saw a lot of dead snails on the bottom =) De-lightful!

In future I am soaking for half the time.

Hey there, The plant will probably grow back fairly fast. Just to add to this topic I have had quite good success with No Planaria (only in 2 foot tank though). However the snails are never completely gone which is a pain but small dosing does assist keeping them to next to nothing.

I have also tried the bleech method . All my plants soaked for around 20 mins in diluted bleech and none seemed bothered by it.

I agree with Beencees though . His method that you used would probably be the best for treating them out of the water. Once they are in and established though there is not much you can do :(

Hello,

I am a strong believer of no planaria, however it normally takes 3-4days before all the snails are gone. Was after q quick fix this time as I was rescaping everything in one day.

The subwassertang is still alive!! It is greening back up slowly.. Glad it didn't become a complete mess!!

Hey there, The plant will probably grow back fairly fast. Just to add to this topic I have had quite good success with No Planaria (only in 2 foot tank though). However the snails are never completely gone which is a pain but small dosing does assist keeping them to next to nothing.

I have also tried the bleech method . All my plants soaked for around 20 mins in diluted bleech and none seemed bothered by it.

I agree with Beencees though . His method that you used would probably be the best for treating them out of the water. Once they are in and established though there is not much you can do :(