Hey,

Ok so please tell me if this is dumb.

I currently have a 91cmx x 46cm x 45cm tank which is approx 188L. I was thinking about changing the filter over to the aqua one 2700uvc. I know it is more filtration than necessary but would it be too much and cause any problems? I like the idea of the built in uv steriliser and that I could possibly upgrade tank size in future. I know there are some things you can do to decrease the current, could you suggest what you think I should do?

Thanks heaps and please don't think I am too much of a noob :)

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

Most welcome, they are good value for money the Aqua-One 2700's i have one in my collection i bought new to test quality and i've only ever cleaned it twice in over 12months...

Just keeps chuggin along, plenty of good use-able room in them for bio-logical filtration too which is great.

Yea I have read that they didn't come with much media. What did you put in yours? I have read good things about seachem matrix and marine pure. I don't know much about media though :) thanks again for the help!

I have a aqua one 2700 they come with multiple spray bars so you can dispurse the flow out evenly and as theforgotten said you can point it to the back wall, definite over kill but it will work amazingly on that tank possibly yearly cleaning haha!!

Yea I have read that they didn't come with much media. What did you put in yours? I have read good things about seachem matrix and marine pure. I don't know much about media though :) thanks again for the help!

I just added some extra noodles and bio balls to mine it came with a bit but the extra noodles and bioballs wprked a treat!!

Filtration is an interesting subject

If you look at European filters…they tend to recommend a lower flow rate than Americans….for the same size tank

Personally I see it like cars….Europeans performance cars have small capacity highly efficient motors…Americans have huge V8's

in reality they both get you to the shops and back

I've often seen the comment….you can never have too much filtration…but why have anymore than you need?

Bacterial filtration is most efficient at lower flow rates….and it's lack of this that can kill fish

Mechanical filtration isn't about flow rates…it's about the density of the filtration material

the best filters are "reverse osmosis"i.e. RO….they have a very fine membrane and generally a very slow flow rate

It you are running a planted community tank you don't want (or need) high current in the tank

Why do you think you need a uv steriliser?

You will find that a filter of a size nominated by Eheim…with regular maintenance, regular water changes, quarantine New fish for a couple of weeks before adding to the tank

You'll have a Happy healthy tank

Note….there are some species that enjoy high flow tanks….Rainbows, Central American cichlids

Just another opinion….;)

I have coral pieces in i think 2 of my tray's and noodles/rings in the others still leaving plenty of space for filter foams to provide mechanical filtration with the biological,

Marinepure is a great media and i have switched over to using it in my fx5/fx6 filters but its currently not available in our country in the crushed pieces that would make it ideal for filling filter trays for these type of filters!! (if that makes sense)

But in saying that, you could fill the trays with say marinepure and fill in the excess space with coralpieces so you are utilising as much space as possible, same can be said with the filter foams for mechanical !

Lol yeah its a fluval 306 on a standard 2ft

it created quite a current when I pointed it outwards but at the wall my anubius aren't swaying ot anything so it's fine in my experience

Too much current is bad for plants yeah, in regards to uprooting and the way they grow

I can't think of much else it would effect

Just remember….one hat doesn't fit all

Coral in filter for Rift lake cichlids….Good

Coral in filter for tetras/planted tank….not Good

The best biological filtration is air driven sponge filters….but they aren't attractive

If your fish are from rapids and need highly oxygenated water….high flows they go

too high a flow just stresses most species