hornet

heater not heating properly?

I have a 300watt in my 6 footer and it is set to 36 and it onyl ever gets to about 24 in the tank. Just turn it up a drgree each time and just watch. The same happens in my 2 footer it is set to 26 and the temp is only 24.

Hmmm, maybe the heaters aren't functioning properly. I use 300 watts in most of my tanks, 4fts, 3ft and 2x2x18's and I have no dramas with them getting to 26-28 degrees. If anything I have to set them a bit lower than 28 to keep them on 28 degrees.

If you have the box for the heater check what size aquarium it is recommended to heat.

One brand of 300W heater will heat a larger volume of water than another depending on the quality (and price) of it.

The problem with heaters is that the guage is a guide not accurate. The problem with thermometers is hat they are just as likely to be wrong.

One solutions is when you go look for a thermometer lay them all out and pick one with the temperature around the average value assuming more are right than wrong - or go digital - not the stick on ones but the probe ones.

Steve

I tend to find that most heaters tend to b a few c's out

So Just turn it up a little

The cheeper the heater the less likly it will get your tank to the temp set on it

I use a lab aproved thermonter but they cost over 80$

So I gess if U want the best you have to pay for it lol

Roo

I have always considered it good practise to have 2 thermometers and if running several tanks, put all thermometers in one tank to compare temps in that range. Water flow can also impact how your heater works as the temp around your heater is higher than at the other end of the tank, and can cut out before all your water is heated.

:)

while on the subject of heaters... what does everyone reckon are good reliable brands? I impulse bought a 300w 'aquaworld' heater at the beginning of winter because i thought my old 100w no-brand heater might not be up for a real cold winter. I noticed the temperature was getting low at night a few nights back & tested both heaters & the new heater was no longer turning on :(

after some close inspection it looks like the aquaworld heater has got some water in it... which i rekn is pretty crap due to it being so new & i didn't submerge the top. unfortunatley i didn't keep the docket either so now i guess i'm gonna have to buy another heater!@# :?

any brand recommendations?

We use an aquaone and a newatt heater. The newatt is great and has a solid black plastic construction, however it doesnt have a light to tell u it is working, but has an auto cutoff so it doesnt burn out if it is out of the water and is said to be indestructable.