DFishkeeper

Qantas Freight policy change?

Hey guys,

I was reading the below thread on Perth Cichlid Society Forums :

Perth Cichlid Society Forums

It seems Qantas Freight have had a change of policy as posted by a Perth lfs Morley Aquariums: "Just a heads up, qantas have just changed their policy on transport. Fish are usually sent by perishable consignment, but they will no longer do this. They now insist on being sent by "Q go" as livestock. We were sent away with a box of fish last week, normally we get charged around $70 - $90, the new cost for this batch to karratha was $238! & this was not just a one off confusion.

I was called out of the blue earlier this week by a qantas rep who said that they have obviously not worked this out well & upset some people. They are now looking into an alternative for fish, but this is not in place as yet. For now do not send fish by qantas as you will pay dearly.The only other choice i am aware if is virgin, but they use toll ipec & an account us required.My advice, hold off for a few weeks until qantas have sorted themselves out. I will post the details of new option to use when they let me know. "

I haven't shipped any fish myself for a few weeks, has anybody else heard anything about this?

Cheers, Doug

This actually was always the case Doug after the merge

Perishable goods don't require the hull to be pressurized, livestock does

Placing fish in transit as perishable goods was bucking the system and placing the fish at risk of being transported in a non pressurized hull.

That doesn't sound good. I've had the flu all week and just not up to phone conversations yet, but as soon as I'm feeling better I'll call the guys I deal with at Qantas Freight at Gold Coast airport and suss it out.

Cheers, Doug

I've been shipping fish on a regular basis in the last 2 months and haven't been stung with a hefty price increase as mentioned here, a little increase yes, $5-$10.

And yes live fish are now sent as go fresh I think

Haven't had any issues since they brought in new policies. .....

I have shipped a fair bit over the last 3 months 2 or 3 times a week and havent had any dramas. Noticed they price went up a little bit but nothing crazy.

The only difference i have had is the staff asking for 75 micron bags surrounding the fish bags instead of garbage bags.

Yeah nothing changed for me when shipping fish either...

Only thing they've now said is, they can't guarantee they'll get on a flight - they said it in precaution when 99% of the time they do make it on the flight you want

I just spoke with Shane at QAF at Coolangatta he knows nothing of it perishables as usual as always but he said he will make some inquiries and get back to me.

I was going to call Shane tomorrow, so I won't bother now. Please post up his response when he gets back to you. Hopefully it is just a WA thing.

Cheers, Doug

You'll have to move closure to Brisbane LOL [MENTION=4580]markfnq[/MENTION] so we can all get our hands on them quality fish as at those prices for freight it's a killer unless we get a group together and all chip in for freight

Are you shipping from brisbane? I sent a box to sydney weighing 16kgs for $62. Another box to sydney that was 9 kgs for $53., melbourne 17kgs with 2 boxes for $83, adelaide 11kgs for $92.

All shipped over the last 5 weeks from brisbane as Go Fresh., I only noticed as small increase of about $5

Whats the difference between fresh and animal. I would presume fresh are vegetables and dead fish and animal are "live"/"breathing"/"kicking" fish.

I have not bothered on the category on fish shipped to me but if i can save i would definitely not disclose it as live animal and pick "fresh" instead.

live fish doesn't fall under the perishable category and would mean its a "live animal". I don't think they inspect what's inside the styro so I can get away not disclosing what's inside and save on my future shipping cost. Looking at my old boxes they all say/stickered live fish so I missed out on savings.

Whats the difference between fresh and animal. I would presume fresh are vegetables and dead fish and animal are "live"/"breathing"/"kicking" fish.

Perishable goods don't require the hull to be pressurized, livestock does

^^^^^

live fish doesn't fall under the perishable category and would mean its a "live animal". I don't think they inspect what's inside the styro so I can get away not disclosing what's inside and save on my future shipping cost. Looking at my old boxes they all say/stickered live fish so I missed out on savings.

Yes mate Live fish has fallen under perishables (for pricing) for a long time through qantas freight/AAE, Counter staff check every box when shipping live fish. The box can not be taped up prior to arrival for that reason. Then they tape it up.

I'm sending a box of fish to Melbourne on Thursday from Gold Coast airport and will be calling the Qantas Freight office there tomorrow to book it in and confirm pricing. I'll post up how I get on.

Cheers, Doug

Called Qantas Freight office at Gold Coast airport today and booked shipment to Melbourne for Thursday. Staff there don't know anything about a policy change and quoted me the usual price for Thursdays shipment. Hopefully all will go smoothly Thursday when I drop shipment off.

[MENTION=10296]Cmath24[/MENTION]

Cheers, Doug