Hi.

Every so often I come across these strange little creatures in my tanks and ponds. Unfortunately the picture isn't great but I'm wondering if anyone can identify them? They range in size from mere specks to about 2mm across. I haven't seen larger though I'm guess at around this size they become of interest as food. They are essentially spherical and almost transparent except for the blobby bits. They generally either float like dust or crawl along the subatrate. Anyone know what they might be?

Thanks.

post-12417-14711631687489_thumb.jpg

How often do you clean your tank/filters ?

Do you catch things from creeks/streams for your tank ?

Not sure how that type of thing would just stumble along into your tank I would be concerned to find something like that in any of my tanks...

Just look like freshwater limpets to me, but would need a better picture to be sure.

Can you get a picture of one on the glass?

Freshwater jellyfish have been in the hobby before, they come in all the time on wild collected water lilly.

Not unusual to see them in ponds especially in northern QLD.

Fresh water jelly fish? haha they'd go nicely with my collection of fresh water sponges! lol Thanks all for the replies. I'll try and get some better pictures tonight or tomorrow. These guys don't seem to attach to glass as such, they are always free swimming (except when walking) or floating at the surface. I have a small dam which I have collected a few things from before so they could've come along for the ride. There are a number of creeks and dams in the areas so it is certainly possible they came in one way or another. That said, I've found them in plant tubs where the substrate had been rinsed with boiling water and all plants had been bathed in a 3ml/gallon solution of peroxide for 10-15 minutes. This leads me to suspect they are finding their own way in. I caught a heap at one stage and threw them in a tank as food. Swordtails absolutely smashed them, but these guys are very agile and fast moving so quite a few no doubt found a home. I subsequently found them living and doing quite nicely thank you very much in that tank's canister filter. They dont seem to discriminate between clean and dirty filters. Since, I have found them in hang on filters from a couple other tanks. They weren't deliberately introduced so my suspicion for the indoor tanks is they came via plants. I can't promise on better pictures as I was only able to get these with a dodgy webcam/microscope, suitably hampered by fat fingers! From what I've seen they seem almost entirely spherical and to the naked eye appear somewhat silverish. Hopefully some better pics will help shead a few more clues.

Thanks again everyone!

Ostracods. Seed shrimp. the ones that are floating around in the water actually have legs poking out from between the two halves of the shell (like a clam) that are kicking like hammer and tongs to propel them. The left-most one in your pic shows the two halves of the shell with the split down the middle. The big one top right is lying on its side.

By golly Grubs, I think you may have cracked it! I had a look at some of the other families people suggested but ostracods seem by far the best fit. I can't say I'd every heard of them but from what I've read them seem an interesting contribution to the playground, many thanks! Thanks to everyone else for replying too! So about these freshwater jellyfish I hear speak of... lol

So about these freshwater jellyfish I hear speak of... lol

CraspedacustaSowerbii_1_264.jpg

here is some info from the Jellyfish lady Lisa Gershwin'

Craspedacusta Sowerbii

"My guess is yes, they will breed and flourish -- they are quite the weed! Just to cover your bases, you could grab a few of the lilys -- the polyps are likely to be infested in the lilys. The persistent stage is a tiny "polyp" or "hydra", less than 1mm tall, and virtually impossible to see with the naked eye. They will multiply like crazy and you will likely find it very hard to get rid of them -- but being mosquito free for life has its benefits! Then each year, when the conditions are right, e.g., spring time, the polyps will release zillions of medusae, and you will have an aquatic blizzard for a few months. I would love to see them on my next trip to the NT!!!"

Freshwater jellyfish

Wow, very cool, thanks Donny! I'd never thpught of freshwater sponges until I tripped over them. And freshwater jellyfish is a new one too! I learnt my lesson with seahorses though and keep my fingers crossed that one day pipe fish may be affordable enough for me to risk killing! Seems a whole new world... Thanks again guys for opening my eyes a little more ;)

Ahhh then I have much work to prepare, and that's before finding space for tank, let alone inhabitants! I've tried getting cultures of tubifex and blackworms going before, which I imagine may be somewhat interchangable with wriggles as food, but without a chiller, or at least a spare fridge to draft into the roll, seems a whee tad too warm this way. Managed to make a spectacularly funky soup trying a few times tho! lol

warmer weather you say? mite have to explore that more one day. I had at one stage considered a diverson off the waterfall on my pond, sort of like a tidal flat, but haven't got quite that far yet! lol I must revisit wrigglers. and long sleeves!

Well I'll be damned, another new one for me! Guess it answers the age old question of what you'd get crossing a mini chiwawah(sp?!?) and mini poodle... something nature shouldn't have even been able to get away with... the don king of ants! rofl

Sent from my ZTE T81 using Tapatalk

Hi there,

Looks like they are some type of water-flea (daphnia or rotifers)- they are great protein for juvenile fish and are used regularly to feed finfish larvae. They can bloom quickly in a pond if fertilised (with a nitrogen, phosphorous, carbon source). If you could get a clearer picture that would be useful. How large are they? and do they exhibit a flickering motion?

Cheers,

Hi Chris. I had initally thought a water flea myself but Grabs suggestion of Ostracods seems closest so far, though just having quickly looked up rotifers they may be close. I have noticed bigger fish like them too but takes more for them to make a mouthful lol I might experiment with breeding 1 day. I was hoping to get a better picture but to no avail. I grabbed that a while ago. I've since reinstalled my computer and have had no luck finding drivers. I'll have a bit more of a hunt. I was looking at some before and their probably up to around 1mm. I vaugely remember seeing some to around 2mm though. May be seasonal though as there's no preditors in with them. Not really flickering no. They do like swimming in circles though not exclusively. To look at normally they seem almost silver at a distance. They sometimes seem to cluster together on the waters surface too, almost looking dead or like debris until you poke them. Quite curious little critters really!

130723134324-large.jpg

“We have evidence that ultrasonic signalling in A. arachnoides involves sound levels of about 110dB which are considered unusually loud for such a small insect. The mechanism of scraper distortion is therefore a good candidate to be responsible for the high sound intensity observed in the calls: at such ultrasonic frequencies, you need to be loud to be detected by females.”

Rare bushcricket's chirp as loud as a power saw -- ScienceDaily

by the by, for anyone still playing along about my weird bugs, I finally found a driver 4 the microscopey thing. yay! think it worked? noooo! think the company that made it even still aknowledges they made it? pmsl u must be still using the original windows 95 drivers! ahhh dontcha just love forced obselesence...