the people on this forum srsly are a joke at times the low ball offers people throw at you it need to stop most prices people put on this site is 50% cheaper than you would get a pet store yet you still try and get lower, I know most people would go to pet store and see something they like a purchase it at full price but wen they see it on here they think its alright to get it for free, if your looking for free **** go to the free **** section not where people are actually looking to get some sort of money. cheers

Some people just want it all and dont want to pay a reasonable amount for stuff , theyre the same people that get the shts if the same is done to them. But then again they are the ones that put large prices on their stuff , theyre still under the impression that they will make a fortune in the hobby . Or they pick the guts out of their purchase and try to cover their original costs and even make a profit from the leftovers

Buying 10 and trying to get 1 chucked in for free i can live with but anything more than that is an insult in my eyes . At least you can ignore them in the future and sooner or lateryou will have something they will kill to own and you can say (politely of course) p off i aint dealing with you then sit back going hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha you had the last laugh

The saddest thing about this is that often the same people who refuse to pay a reasonable price for quality fish from a reputable breeder then go to Gumtree or Facebook and buy cheap poor quality or even crossbred fish and breed these and then onsell them to others looking for cheap fish and so on and on.

Hence the growing occurence of poor quality and crossbred fish in the hobby.

Cheers, Doug

I have started to offer trades when selling fish to try and get some value out of sales.

Most people are willing to trade but it doesn't help pay the bills, I'm just setting up more tanks.

I'd hate to calculate how much nls cost to get a fish to 4cm, I'd probably find I'm not making the money back out of fry to cover it lol.

But during sales and trades I've meet some good people which makes it worthwhile.

I think the major issue is there is a lot less tanks around that need fish since power and water have gone up and most people aren't hobbyists so they don't care if it's hybrid or good quality as long as they like it and it has bright colour on colour foods.

I have a mate that has a tank with peacocks,flamebacks and electric blues and was told they could breed them all in the same tank, just so a breeder could get more sales.

Needless to say that the peacocks have been confirmed as hybrids.

Things like that turn people away from the hobby.

Cheers mick

Met some top people when purchasing fish and even talking while chasing info if you treat them rite they wont push you under a bus . Its called respect .respect for the time people have spent learning their hobby . Respect for the time and money spent to source the best fish they can get . Respect for the 300 generations of fish that were bred to get a stable colour / quality with minimal throwbacks and the countless hours spent maintaining these fish

Personally I'm ok with people throwing in an offer as long as they accept the decline in good grace. Its when they low ball then get pissed off if you refuse or start making demands that I have a problem.

I remember a clear example of selling a lot of 5 fish and the "buyer" not only wanted me to split it and only sell 3 to him, but then told me he was going to pay less per fish than it would have been as a group, and on top of that told me he was going to pick the 3 biggest ones himself. Hardest polite decline I have ever had to make :) Still I can only blame myself as it was a gumtree response.

Same whine and one sided views - different day. 101 Economics is a pretty simple concept to grasp:

Supply + Demand = Price

Not selling something? Look at the equation and adjust price to create demand.

Don't want to adjust? Keep what you have and don't bombard the forum with constant bumps or worse, create a new thread to have a whine about it.

Personally I'm ok with people throwing in an offer as long as they accept the decline in good grace. Its when they low ball then get pissed off if you refuse or start making demands that I have a problem.

Most sensible post I've seen for a while.

Totally agree with you.Unfortunately it's becoming the way of the world. Everyone wants everything for nothing. So sad but true.

"Gimme 4 blue nothins and 8 red nothings" How much dos that come to? $30 ok here ya go... takes home empty bucket lol

Most sensible post I've seen for a while.

Sensible offers are one thing and thats what makes the money go round !

Lowballing to the extreme that it becomes insulting is another

Try what is the lowest you will take , you could get a surprise as the seller may just want to get rid of items and then you both know where you stand some people just go a out it the wrong way

"Gimme 4 blue nothins and 8 red nothings" How much dos that come to? $30 ok here ya go... takes home empty bucket lol

Will the blue nothins interbreed with the red nothings cos i got sum purple nufinks maybe thats where they came from hahahahahaha

Sensible offers are one thing and thats what makes the money go round !

Lowballing to the extreme that it becomes insulting is another

Try what is the lowest you will take , you could get a surprise as the seller may just want to get rid of items and then you both know where you stand some people just go a out it the wrong way

You can always just ignore any offers that you are insulted by and life goes on. There are a ton of different ways to deal with the situation and commence discussion on what price the seller will sell for and the buyer will buy for. I normally try to put a price to a seller before I would ask "What's your lowest price". I try to buy in bulk where possible to make it of interest to the seller, but some sellers are too focused on the price of one fish than the benefit of selling 10+ fish.

What is reasonable is subjective to each person based on different outlooks and reading these sort of threads deters me from putting an offer over. The seller thus will never know that someone is interested in the fish and they continue to "bump" their ads trying to sell. 2 examples - 6 to 7 months ago I put an offer to a seller that was considered a "low ball offer" by him and fair by me. Fast forward to the present and I see that seller has only just now sold those exact same fish for less than what I offered.

Second example, there are fish up for sale now that I would be interested in buying, but I don't value them at the same price the seller has priced them. We aren't too far apart, but I just can't be bothered to approach the seller with a reasonable offer because of seller attitudes I read on this forum. If sellers want to "blacklist" potential buyers - what makes a seller think that buyers don't do the same? There are a couple of active sellers on this forum (not you billfish) where past comments/attitudes has made me ignore whatever they are selling. If I saw the same thing being sold by someone else, I would contact them and buy.

I must say I do think some of the selling experiences given by some on this thread are unbelievable. But (to all sellers) don't tar all potential buyers who show interest in what you are selling with the same brush. If it becomes too much, tell people its sold and keep it.

Ive had what i consider low offers but was able to reach a price that we were both happy with and others were we didn't meet on price, no worries but blacklisting someone for making an offer is a bit over the top I feel.

I agree with what [MENTION=11869]Isee[/MENTION] has said there is good and bad on both sides it just depends on how the sales are approached.

If things don't sell for me they go into holding tanks out the back until I see a want to buy add or have a spare breeding tank.

And some good will is needed from both sides, at the end of the day its a hobby and trying to get rich from it is an expensive lesson.

Cheers mick

Seller wants best price

Buyer wants best price

Lowest price questions should never be a first option

I dont agree with blacklisting over a price dissagreement

I agree with the buy in bulk deal and some are too interested in single fish prices

I no longer have a fish room but am doing my best to get one going again

Maybe i still have some unresolved issues from when i sold up my fish room( still regretting it) and had an offer to me which was something crazy for wild caught heckle , tefe discus which i sold a week later for nearly what i wanted

When i say nearly i threw in a breedind pair of golden sunrise and a few juvies .he went back home happy and i could pay something towards debts

This is why sometimes it's just easier to make a connection with your lfs supply them direct and not waste your time advertising on here, or ship interstate and supply othe fish shops or wholesalers, let them pay full price!!

This is why sometimes it's just easier to make a connection with your lfs supply them direct and not waste your time advertising on here, or ship interstate and supply othe fish shops or wholesalers, let them pay full price!!

I'm pretty sure sellers would sell their item quicker if they listed a price that the LFS actually pay.....

I've never understood the argument. Advertise you fish here for example $90, refuse an offer for $70, but then go and sell to a LFS for $60 (more likely $45). That's called being out of touch with reality by misdirected pride.

I'm pretty sure sellers would sell their item quicker if they listed a price that the LFS actually pay.....

I've never understood the argument. Advertise you fish here for example $90, refuse an offer for $70, but then go and sell to a LFS for $60 (more likely $45). That's called being out of touch with reality by misdirected pride.

I've come to some deals with 2 lfs and I supply them Africans at $4 ea same as I would advertise them on here, it's about giving a little and taking a little I do a lot for them to help them out they do a lot for me!!

And I've seen a seller on here claim to be selling at a price less than he could sell to a LFS to generate interest and two weeks later I see a LFS selling that type of fish for $1 less. Pretty safe guess that the LFS paid less.