Hi Roy,

Some fish are better holders than others. In general, I find most mbuna are pretty good. I regularly catch holding electric yellow females, open their mouth to check if the eggs have hatched yet, and if not throw them back in the tank for another week or so, and they rarely lose the eggs.

In contrast, some non-mbuna, eg blue dolphins, will often spit out their eggs/fry if disturbed.

Cheers, Doug

It will also depend on where you are moving the fish too. It's not just the stress from transfer. A new addition to an established tank population is always at the bottom of the pecking order (extremely stressful) and putting her into an exposed bare tank is also stressful. As Doug has mentioned, some species handle stress much better than other species and it's no co-incidence that these are the easier to breed species.

I only have drama with 1 of my females she like to spit as soon as I get her in the net but all my others hold onto them no worries, but now I separate them at around day 14-16 so that way if she spits there heads and tails and easier to look after throw them straight into a tumbler and have 100% success rate.