MichaelPark

Wild Caught v Tank Raised

Was at my LFS today and was looking at the many types of clownfish they had. The first question I asked them was why 2 of them were so much more colourful/brighter in colour. He told me they were wild caught clownfish. He continued to tell me they were nearly 3 times the price of tank raised ones. Just wondering if tank raised ones will colour as well as wild caught ones? The ones I saw were amazing and even though the price, I would have chosen them..

Does this also go for other species of fish that can breed in captivity?

Thanks.

Tank bred on average are tougher relating to impurities and if you change their diet, any and all, they colour up nicely. One issue with tank bred amphiprions is they don’t always do well with anemones.

Where was this shop? Wild caught should be cheaper so that's a load of rubbish.. what was the prices difference?

Was like $250 for a breeding pair where as it was like $120 (can't remember this one correctly) for a tank bred breeding pair.

Don, if u want to give me $15/clown + costs to get them, I will get you as many as you want mate.

When you say pairs.. is that bred PRS or just 2 fish? Its not that hard to get a bigger one and a smaller one and say they're a pair.

And Michael park you still haven't answered the questions I asked....

Disagreeeee... less then $20 in shop for WC clowns... how much for local tank bred ?

From this particular shop they came in 3 stages I believe. Premium, which were $220 a pair, $180 was middle of the range, and then $45 each for the lowest.

Tank bred usually have weaker colours and barring problems.

I have to disagree.

What you see as a problem, I see as a design.

Tank bred clowns...... apples aint apples.

Thanks for the offer of procurement though.

I have my 2 clowns, and thats enough for me :)

Edited by Donny@ageofaquariums
spelling