Sign in to follow this  
Shelley

New tank cycling, Nitrate levels high.

I am wondering if anyone might know what could be causing the nitrate levels to be very high in my tank. I am 10 days into a new cycle, running a new filter. Ammonia is 2.0 nitrite is 0 and nitrate has been very high. Before my first water change, day 7, it was 160 then after it went down to 40.

I did the water change 3 days ago and I am going to do it again today. I just tested everything again and nitrate is still high as expected. I know nitrate is less harmful and it will reduce again after doing another water change but it doesn't make sense and I need to figure out what had caused it. From my understanding a cycle goes like this... Ammonia levels peak within a couple of weeks and then turn into nitrite, the nitrite peaks within a couple of weeks and turns into nitrate, then it peaks within a couple of weeks which is then removed by changing the water and then the cycle is complete right? So how can nitrate levels be so high right from the beginning?

I am guessing my ammonia is about to peak, hence the 2.0 ammonia reading and 0 nitrite, then nitrite will peak etc etc etc

I only have 1 Oscar which is fed once a day and has not really made a lot of mess, and running a Eheim classic (2217) I have plans to run my Jebo also as a back up but need new pipes and bits n bobs first so figure my eheim should be plenty to keep the tank clean for now, it is a 4x 1.5x 1.5 ft (66 gallon) tank.

Any ideas? TIA

Oh and one more thing, what is everyone's thoughts and experiences on seachem prime? Yay or Nay?

Are you following the instructions on the test kit precisely? And is it still in date?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oh and I'd do another 50% water change! that ammonia definitely won't be good for the poor oscar. Feed him once every other day or even once every 3 days until the tank is cycled

Yes, and the test kit was only purchased just over a week ago.

Doing another water change today but I'm also about to test our tap water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you add water from another aquarium?

Have you been really shaking up the test kit bottles well before use?

try get the water tested at a lfs or by someone else with a kit......... just to compare results.

If the kit is faulty, its going to make this very hard to solve!

Donny, I only added a bucket full of water from his last tank that he was in while getting his new tank set up. Didn't think that small amount would hurt? If it doesn't improve by the end of the week I will take a sample down to wet dreams aquatics.

Panbee, the media in the filter is what came with it when I bought it, large hollow cylinders and smaller round ones.

I'm beginning to think it's the rocks from the old tank and that I didn't wash them properly. So I'm going to try stirring up the rocks and doing daily water changes until it's cleared up.

Thanks everyone.

Ok thanks Donny. Yes his old tank was very high. A little over a week ago I knew nothing about looking after fish but I have taken over the care of our Oscar now as no one else was doing it. Surprised he is still alive (and well) to be honest.

Yep tested the tap water and it's all 0.

Might just do a 75% water change tomorrow instead of 50%??

Sign in to follow this