a.andrew

Osmolator - Waste of Time?

Hey all,

Just wondering what everyone's thought is on installing an osmolator onto a 64L tank. Just sick of having to top up water constantly and if I don't all you hear is the gargling of the Lily Pipes.

I have been looking at the TUNZE Nano Osmolator, has anyone used these? Any other brands I should consider?

Thanks,

On my tank it is probably one the best additions I added. I have the Tunze one. I use a slow pump (1L per min) in my sump to remove water everyday. This is on a timer and runs for about 120-150 mins a day, therefore removing about 120-150L throughout each day from my tank. The Tunze top up unit adds water back to the sump to keep it at the correct level. No more water changes...

The Tunze osmolator is a good bit of equipment. Mine has worked flawlessly since purchased from AOA.

My unit has worked flawlessly since purchase. I have drilled a safety hole towards the top of my sump with a hose going to a drain incase that was to happen or power goes out and there is too much water in the system for some reason. Never had it happen but have got that safety measure just incase.

Have any of you guys explerienced an osmolator failing and overflowing the tank?

What Rob said above would be a good idea - the other option you might want to throw into the mix is get the 3155 instead of the 3152 as it has a optical sensor as well as the float switch but it will add about $130 to the price you are looking at.

Havent had that, or even heard of someone experiencing with tunze.

Maybe give the big marine forums like reefcentral a search?

We usually have a few replacement pumps on hand at aoa, but its very rare we get orders for them.

Not bad considering how many units we have sold.

That said most the cost of the unit is all the fail safes, to prevent drama.

As above its very difficult for the 3155 to fail.

I have considered that option also and it would be my preferred option. But the $$$ difference is quite substantial, practically close to a second unit. I do believe the optical is way better then the little dinky bobble valve. I guess it comes back to you get what you pay for (spec wise not product quality).

What Rob said above would be a good idea - the other option you might want to throw into the mix is get the 3155 instead of the 3152 as it has a optical sensor as well as the float switch but it will add about $130 to the price you are looking at.