Outlaw

Getting breeding started

Ok people I have a 8x2 with 16 Burundi 12f 4m all 17-27cm. They have never breed or held, what could I do to help them get started? There in bore water with a ph 8.9 gh and kh is a pinch on the high side but still in range. The only other fish with them is 3 calvus, they are in a display tank in a high traffic area. They are feed once daily and iv tried prawns as treats. Normally do 40% water change weekly.

Could there be to many in the 1 tank or over feeding them? The tank has a lot of hide holes n caves.

Might be hard for a male to hold a breeding location exclusively.

Personally I would feed them well for a week, then water change, add easylife and starve them for 3 days.

Sounds brutal....... but has worked before.

Another idea is giving them a privacy curtain for a few days. never done it myself, but apparently it can work.

Any chance of a photo?

Frontosa are opportunistic predators, they are not able to plan when their next meal is coming and are equipped to gorge themselves when food is plentiful and last long periods when none is available. A 20cm fish is able to eat a 6cm fish for food for example which would last several weeks since they don't expend much energy in a small fish tank.

A weekly water change is also not good if you want to trigger spawns for the same reasons as daily feeding. However, you need to decide whether you want to spawn or just keep fish and hope they spawn. I suggest you do a lot more reading on the subject and find your own feet. Unless you reduce stocking rate drastically, the fish would not be able to mouthbrood for long even if they did spawn.