I found 1 of my Juvi angel fish near the surface today & when i had a closer look it swam away slowly. Then i noticed every time it exhaled it looged like a dark coloured cloud came from it's gills? Now my fish are not smokers so this is baffling. subsequently it died about 15mins later. It wasn't bloated or gasping for air. It had full colour and looked in perfect condition. Any ideas would be helpful. All water parameters are spot on & temp is 27deg.

Cheers,

Troy

[MENTION=231]gingerbeer[/MENTION] 14 juvi Discus, several juvi angles, 4 neons, 6 black widow tetras, 4 serpae tetras, 2 BN, 1 gols sucker fish, 2 flying foxes, 6 rummy noses, 2 german ram, 3 cory's, 2 yoyo loaches. Tank is 840lt too mate. Water change of 40% each week. 2700lt canister, aquaclear HOB filter, Fluval U4 internal. all cycled and working great.

My first suspicion is someone won the fight. I am looking for the winner.

Maybe a lucky blow from one of his peers. Could be the rams if they have eggs somewhere. Cichlids are cichlids, and struggle to hide there tendency to form territories and beat the others, especially if there is a disturbance....

Just for reference, I am not a fan of angels and discus in the same tank. Discus will lose that fight eventually.....

Even if the discus don't get into too many fights with the angels you may find they may hide in a corner never looking happy .Even putting them in with fish that go ballistic at feeding time like some of the tetras and even the yoyos to a lesser extent may be to the detriment of the health of the discus especially if some of them are a bit timid . Not always the case but something to keep an eye on