Sign in to follow this  
Tim72

little white worms wriggling around my tank

I`ve just noticed some white worms free swimming around in a tank with a trio of common bristlenose they are about 1.5cm`s long and a bit thicker than a human hair...anyone know what these are and if i need to treat the tank to get rid of the little buggers? cheers Tim.

ooOOOooo i think i know the ones! mine are about 1cm max though adn arn't really swimming, just moving about on the glass bottom. I found them in my BB shrimp tank after i got some CRS, also found millions of these tiney little organisms that about 10 could fit on this dot . Not sure if they are harmful, they arn't to shrimp at least - good news though! neon blue ram fry love em! its great free food :)

I only noticed them swimming after doing a water change and stirring the tank all up...I`m just a little worried they may be a nasty lil bastard that will get in the fish`s guts and kill them.

well that would indicate that they have been there awhile? if your fish arn't ill or sickly looking i'd think they would be right, but you could always take your trio out (i'm assuming is a 2/3FT?) and either take everything out, dry out the tank & gravel filter media ect. and start cycling again from scratch whilst your bn are in another tank. or, get some medication with praziquantel in it, its the active ingredient that used in all of the dog/cat wormers. The brand "jungle" make a few with it in there, pets paradise usually stocks it. Or you could go to your LPS and ask for drontal worming tabs, not the ones in the green packs but the punchout tabs in the blue pack (usually behind the counter). But i'd try and get your hands on some jungle first.

HTH

yeah it`s a 2x1.5x1.5 no gravel just a bit of wood and breeding logs...and a sponge filter.

i`ll stop buy a vet surgery and see what they recommend to worm fish with. Thanks for the advive Frinkie.

hi fellas,

had a quick read through this, all i saw was little white worms. they are planaria, they are harmless i have been told but extremely annoying. they are from not gravel cleaning enough and feeding too much. not sure if there are any other reasons for them. i think blue gouramis eat them.

well there you go! they might just be harmless little worms :) I'm not to sure how knowledgeful a vet will be on the subject of small worms in a fish tank. I'd also try go to a LPS before you buy anything from a vet as they are larger chains and have much greater buying power than private vets - so your drontal would be cheaper at a Pet store.

yes thats correct not enough gravel cleans had the same problem about 16 years ago you often see this problem in american cichlid tanks as they are big eaters ant they thrive on uneaten food . back then i spoke to a vet Steve Pycroft was told just do water changes and if i remember correctly he told me they mainly come your tap water and love hot water systems.

cheers

Paul.

that all sounds good fellas but there is no gravel in the tank it`s a bare glass bottom, I do weekly water changes to suck out all that b/nose turd...maybe the worms are in the sponge filter...who knows. By the sounds of things there are harmless i`ll move the fish into another tank and strip the wormy tank and give it a good hose out. Thanks for the advise guys. ;)

i had the same thing in my BN tank, bare bottom aswell.

took everything out, dried the tank and started again. havent seen them again... yet

Sign in to follow this