Grover65k

Giant Pink Gourami Breeding Venture

What next?

Come One, Come All, to the GPG Breeding Venture!

Ladies and Gentlemen, Boys and Girls, Aquariaists of all ages! You are about to witness a daring and risky journey – a “pioneering venture into little-known waters" !

Err… got a bit carried away there… sorry :?

First, an explanation.

As I mentioned in closing out my first (and only) thread, “Giant Pink Gourami “Baby” updates”,

I was really surprised by and appreciative of the interest shown by so many people in what my

pack of hoodlum GPGs were up to over the past few years. Having 1,400+ views of a thread

after I closed it suggests that I should do what I’m doing here – start another thread :typing:

You also know that I’m not just ‘collecting’ trophy fish – I fully intend to do what I can with

what I have to breed GPGs. There you are – a Mission Statement!!

Secondly,

Nothing breeding-wise was ever going to happen in a kiddy-wink wading pool. I realise I could

be mistaken about this, but I have a feeling that enormous fish probably want a very large

amount of room to play in. Hence the “Pool Phase II”, and the intention of using a 10ft

swimming pool as the “TOP Pool” for breeding experiments!

Thirdly,

You can’t do much with just 1 fish (apologies to @JayPee and ‘Walter’ – although did I see 2

other GPGs in one of JayPee’s photos a while back?), so I have been buying Giant Pink Gouramis

with not too much concern for $ price. And yes, @th3f0rg0t3n, I may have accumulated a few

too many in the past, but I have now stopped. My daughter has threatened to extract $50 out

of me for each fish if I buy any more. She doesn't read threads on QLDAF, so little does she know

that I now have 20+

Lastly,

There will be a plan for all this; just as soon as I sit down and draw one. As @beencees tells me

– my plans remind him of Wiley E. Coyote’s brilliant designs to catch The Road Runner.

post-5372-14711631754806_thumb.jpg

I have had trouble sourcing appropriate “ACME” equipment and tend to rely on eBay instead!

This is where we came from...

http://www.qldaf.com/forums/monster-rare-exotic-fish-49/giant-pink-gourami-baby-updates-77649/ :closed_2:

This is where we are going now... Enjoy the trip :focus:

post-5372-1471163175514_thumb.jpg

Edited by Grover65k
Which thread did I start this in??

Wow 20+! mate I sure hope u don't have an issue wth water, power cut, hole in the liner etc etc etc or it would be a HUGE loss to the GG community if you were to loose all those fish IMO they would be better split into 3 pools for safety's sake :/ on a positive note it would be great to see more baby GG around :)

Edited by crusty76

Wow 20+! mate I sure hope u don't have an issue wth water, power cut, hole in the liner etc etc etc or it would be a HUGE loss to the GG community if you were to loose all those fish IMO they would be better split into 3 pools for safety's sake :/ on a positive not it would be great to see more baby GG around :)

Treat them like royals if one plane goes down you still have another one or two?

Good luck with this adventure! I look forward to reading another of your epic GPG threads :)

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Hi @litigator666,

I seem to remember something about not counting chickens/GPGs until they hatch ! LOL :preggers:

But your enthusiasm is infectious - I'll be doing my best to encourage "Baby" & "Floyd" to generate a "prospective supply"

>

And yes @Mistyphoenix,

They are being treated as royalty, except that they show much the same boofiness and plain dopeyness that the current crop of royals (from Britain to Monaco) display.

I'm sure that someone will point out the rare exceptions to the throw-away line above (e.g. "our Kate" & "our Mary" :-) :drama:

>

As @crusty76 points out, I'm an example of "all my eggs in one basket" at the mo - :baby:

no fear, this thread will document a few more ponds popping up and being populated from the GPG Lake.

Ciao,

Edited by Grover65k

This bit is a repeat from February this year, :lalala:

in case you've just tuned in to the QLDAF GPG Channel...

TOP Pool

The top pool is going to be dedicated to just two GPGs for breeding attempts.

post-5372-14711631763815_thumb.jpg

It will have just a couple of canister filters (Aqua CF-1200s) to keep the water

reasonable, but I fully expect it to go green and stay green. It will get water changes,

but I'll be throwing in the coconut fibre, stringy leaves, palm frond bits, and the

various rattan-style basket thingies as breeding materials. This means, basically,

it will be a messy "swamp" pool on purpose!

GPG Lake

The aquaculture installation setup, which originally looked like this -

post-5372-14711631763991_thumb.jpg

and now looks like this -

post-5372-14711631764151_thumb.jpg

will be the main growth "tank" for aquaculture purposes for everybody apart from

the 2 love birds in the TOP Pool.

And yes, @Mungor 's miniature submarine + a tiny underwater camera is still on the

"must have" list. Although there will be some research & development :laser:

to get that project underway (or indeed - underwater!).

i can only dream of 20 + pink gourami i currently have 8 and i think they r one of the most amazing fish u can keep , they all have there own individual personality. i have recently bought 2 pairs back inside for the winter until it warms up again , i decided to put 2 pair into separate ponds after they seem to pair up in the tank, 1 pair started to gather in the corner of the tank and they would pick up mouth fulls of gravel and put It on top of power head and became very aggressive and would chase the others away from that side of the tank. i put them into 12 ft swimming pools about 4000 liters each, i placed palm fronds coconut fiber straw and a lot of plants most of witch were just eaten,they were in the pools for about 8 months but nothing much happened.i tried having still water, aeration,dirty water ,clean water and covering it with clear plastic to keep it hot and humid but no luck. i am going to build a large pond for them this year and let nature that its coarse, hopefully ull have better luck then i have and we will c a lot more of these amazing fish swimming around.

i can only dream of 20 + pink gourami...

Hi [MENTION=3986]i got fish[/MENTION],

It's encouraging to know someone else has wandered down this path!

But, a real shame you didn't get any results for all your hard work.

As one line in the poem goes -

"What you spend years building, someone could destroy overnight;

Build anyway."

Same with fish - what you breed today, someone else might kill, but give it a go anyway.

Goodness knows I've killed a few fish as well - although in my defence some died of old age :black_eyed:

Looks like I'm planning much the same exercise as you went thru,

the only difference being that I have more fissshies to pair up!

I figure that if all else fails, I move to Cairns or Darwin, take the GPGs to throw in a dam, and

as you say, "let nature take its course" !

Hmmm... that also means that this could be a verrrrry looooooong thread.......... :pop2:

Good stuff mate! are u heating them atm? if u are wat are ya using?

Hi @crusty76,

I just realized that I stuck one last update back on the original thread showing my current heating approach !

Check out the last or the penultimate page of

http://www.qldaf.com/forums/monster-rare-exotic-fish-49/giant-pink-gourami-baby-updates-77649/index40.html

cheers!

Have your oscars been successful in breeding in the pond yet grover ??

Very eager to see the progress as this plan all comes into motion and you become the main supplier of GPG's to Australia lolol (It will have all paid off then $$$$)

Not a matter of IF it's just WHEN :amen:

Just out of curiosity, how big would your larger GPG be?

Hi @Robbo89,

Any of the other GPG owners here on QLDAF will tell you that they are very captivating fish.

Their personalities vary from "sedate", through "excitable", and into "downright hooliganism".

Sedate:

For example - "Baby" just cruises around from being one of the oldest and 2nd biggest at 55cm

(about 1ft 10" long - including tail!).

"Floyd", as people have met previously, is 62cm (2ft & 1/2") - and about 8cm across between the eyes :eek:

Excitable:

The "Five Fish Fingers"

"This was once the GPG tail-end before "Rango" came along – I happened to stop in at Aquarium Warehouse (Underwood - now closed) just after Christmas in 2011 (30-12-2011) and saw 5 baby GPGs waaaaay up high. I really deserved a Christmas present for myself, so I made an offer to take all five – I think they were around $170ea, and having temporarily run dry in the naming dept. I named them all fish fingers. They’re not babies anymore - all are around 35cm each now"

These guys & gals are excitable young bloods - especially during feeding!

Hooligan:

"Mr P____ at 50cm was named by his previous owner due to a GPG ‘attitude’ problem and the small matter of a bite on the arm! (03-Jun-2012). When I picked him up the owner showed me a tattoo on his arm that had been altered by a bite from 'Mr P. Rick' when the owner was cleaning the tank."

To answer your question properly -

"Floyd" 62cm

"Baby" 55cm

"Surf" 54cm

"Pinky" 53cm (I think!)

"Mr. P" 50cm

"Rogue" 47cm

"Pearl" 45cm

"B" 42cm

"D" & "Z" 37cm

Mind you, I haven't stopped to re-measure them this year after stuffing them full of vegies and koi pellets...

[MENTION=6158]beencees[/MENTION] just thinks they're "fat buggers" LOL

I just realized that I have a couple of metres worth of fish!!! :jaw:

Ciao,

Edited by Grover65k

Have your oscars been successful in breeding in the pond yet grover ??

Very eager to see the progress as this plan all comes into motion and you become the main supplier of GPG's to Australia lolol (It will have all paid off then $$$$)

Not a matter of IF it's just WHEN :amen:

Hey @th3f0rg0t3n,

Sadly, the Oscars are "small beer" LOL

They are great 'dither' fish for the gouramis, but they bite my toes when I go wading in the GPG Lake!

No oscar babies - just eggs in the pipe and harassed parents chasing away GPGs twice their size :peep:

I still think I have my work cut out for me to get baby GPGs, especially after hearing about

@i_got_fish 's decent attempt!

You'll just have to keep reading the thread to see what happens next ;-)

Cheers