Grover65k

Giant Pink Gourami Breeding Venture

So in a perfect world,

I'll be waiting 2.552 days = 2 days 131/4hours

No worries....

But please, no electricity $ cost calculations Aaarrrgggghhh!

Yer that's enough math for me tonight

These aren't the best, but they were still fun to do!

(Don't ask about the missing numbers!) :-/

Not sure what the GPGs think of all the excitement,

but the Oscars are certainly curious about what's going on!

Apologies in advance for the exciting "snow" effect of floating fish poo... ewwwww

Golly! all this to keep [MENTION=10526]Mistyphoenix[/MENTION] awake for another 5 minutes :boink: during her http://www.qldaf.com/forums/off-topic-discussion-8/late-night-shifts-111043/ :lol:

Couldn't you have added buckets of hot water to get the temp up slowly and then the heater doesn't have to work so hard? I realise it's 12000L of water but a 20L bucket of hot water added to a 6x2x2 will raise the temp .5-1 deg. I'm thinking the cost of hot water/water would outweigh the cost of electricity for 2400w?

Great dedication to these gentle giants as well. I've got a male PGG about 18" long. Hand feeds and chasing the kids around when they walk past his tank

Couldn't you have added buckets of hot water to get the temp up slowly and then the heater doesn't have to work so hard? I realise it's 12000L of water but a 20L bucket of hot water added to a 6x2x2 will raise the temp .5-1 deg. I'm thinking the cost of hot water/water would outweigh the cost of electricity for 2400w?

Great dedication to these gentle giants as well. I've got a male PGG about 18" long. Hand feeds and chasing the kids around when they walk past his tank

The amount of energy required would be the same. Just from a different source, unless it's gas heater then it might be marginally cheaper

Hi. Thanx for the heating idea! GPGs are fabulous fun fish :o

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Laundry sink hot tap with a hose connected to it?

I think the current heating crisis may be over with the Lake holding at 24C. Thank you for everybody's neat suggestions! My focus is now to get them eating again and produce MORE cam-on-a-stick videos :P

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Yes!!

The Lake has hit 25deg C, so I've reduced the number of aq heaters dangling in there down to the 1,000W koi and the 500W new one. Plus of course the drum heater of 2,400W which is still going full bore.

Hmmm... all up it's a shade under 3Kw

Champion effort! You know it's gonna be a long (and awesome) thread when there is nearly 200 posts and the breeding project has not even begun yet :wink:

Thanx [MENTION=10706]Robbo89[/MENTION]

I'm just amazed at the thread getting nearly 3,000 views.

The old thread is still ticking along at over12,000 views.

This is a heap of fun for me too. It's just you all get to share in the ups and downs along the way.

Well done! You shouldn't need that much now it is at temperature should you?

Love the cam on a stick too hahahaha.

Edited by BRISSY

You're right [MENTION=3134]BRISSY[/MENTION]

I've unplugged another of the aq heaters - now just running the Koi heater & Drum heater for 3.4Kw,

both of which are set around 25-26C as a maximum.

Temp is running at 26C - I think that's due to the overcast weather keeping everything that bit warmer :0

GPGs are very happy and demolished a half bucket of peas, beans and lettuce this morning.

Cam-on-a-stick seems to be popular, so my next attempt will be this weekend - reminds me of 'home videos'

cheers, Grover

Hi [MENTION=11836]Cam07[/MENTION]

I still feel like a dill putting the GPGs thru all that temp stress.

And I did pay the price by losing 2.

And yes, I've got that one step closer to baby gouramis - I hope☺♻

So? Where to now?

That faint swirly mist drifting gently from the surface of the Lake and coiling through the long green leaves of the lilies is telling me that I'm burning $€£¥$ at a great rate, so get cracking with the breeding attempt ☺

On the weekend I intend to rummage around in the shed, find all the basket things I have accumulated and set some in the mid-water level to get the fish used to them. Also, have been trying to think of plant material that the GPGs could play with but which won't kill/clog the filters.

Palm leaf fronds broken down without the tough spine bit perhaps? Suggestions please 😀

:noidea:

Surely you've had enough videos, or do you want more?

Vote now!!!