Cooder

LED Light Recommendation?

Hi guys,

Im going to be doing a small high ish tech Planted tank, and would like a Light recommendation. I do like the idea of LED's but know that they can be very expensive.

The tank is going to be 450mmL x 400mmH x 400mmW, and the plants i am planning on using are High light style plants. Hemianthis callitrichoides carpet, Staurogyne sp porto vehlo, some red plants (rotala rotundfolia, ludwigia etc) and probably some not so high light needing plants like chain swords and crypts.

What light should i use?

Also can someone recommend a C02 unit for this sized setup?

I would like to try to keep the budget for this tank as lowish as possible.

Thanks.

PS: ill post pics when ive started the build.

I just purchased a Finnex Planted+ fixture from Amazon for a tank similar in size to yours with a similar plant list and pressurised CO2. Have to say the results so far (2 weeks) have been very good and i'm super happy. Unfortunately the little fixtures are not so cheap ($75 delivered) compared to the larger ones but definitely worth it IMO.

I have more on the way. 3ft fixtures work out at about $130 delivered and 4ft $170. I also have some Green Element fixtures coming and have high hopes for them also. Spent a long time doing my reasearch and so far is paying off handsomely.

If you're looking for a small CO2 set up then probably something like this would be the go:

http://www.thetechden.com.au/Ista_CO2_5l_Kit_p/i-675.htm

Edited by beencees

You do need to understand there is a risk in buying overseas. I am currently trying to understand just how big the risk is.

Australian safety requirements for electrical goods do differ from overseas, so there is a risk in terms of lack of warranty support, and also lack of resale value, due to non-compliance with Australian Standards.

For my money I would be giving a couple of the sponsors a call and discussing what you are doing, get the advice and the backup support.

Regards,

Steve

I am looking at getting a couple of 30 cm cubes for some planted shrimp tanks and have been looking for a light as well. I've basically narrowed it down to either an LED flood light or Finnex planted+ with the former being cheaper and the latter performing better. As it stands I'll probably just get the Finnex on Amazon as a few people on here and on American forums give them two thumbs up.

Here's the PAR reading for the planted+

u7ejy8av.jpg

Tapatalk Note 3

Absolutely. Australian distributor.

Being that LED output is DC and run from transformers plugs are not such and issue anyhow as easy to swap even if you bought one from O/S :)

I am looking at getting a couple of 30 cm cubes for some planted shrimp tanks and have been looking for a light as well. I've basically narrowed it down to either an LED flood light or Finnex planted+ with the former being cheaper and the latter performing better. As it stands I'll probably just get the Finnex on Amazon as a few people on here and on American forums give them two thumbs up.

Here's the PAR reading for the planted+

u7ejy8av.jpg

Tapatalk Note 3

There are alot of LED fixtures around these days, some are pretty good, many very average. I now have the actual studies and certified results showing how certain $800+ fixtures are no better for planted tanks than much, much cheaper ones.

In the end though it's up to the individual to decide what they want. I chose to shop overseas.

As pointed out sometimes there may not be an Aus distributor to offer a warranty. I chose to "run the risk" and spend a third of what lower quality fixtures cost here. Call it a calculated risk but one i feel totally comfortable with.

People get some great results with LED floods, especially if really red plants are not a high priority. Can't say i know what the warranty on them is but i'm sure for some they would be very suitable.

Edited by beencees

Now that is the key as I understand the newish regs in QLD, as an Australian distributor means that they are responsible for ensuring that it complies to Australian rules. This is where the costings get askew comparing to good overseas as Aussie distributors have the same responsibility as a manufacturer, so warranty support and safety to our levels as in the standards is important.

Looking on amazon, the stock is listed in America, that makes it a risk as it has not had to comply to our levels of expectation. I take it the prices you quote are from Australia and not overseas stock....

Regards,

Steve

So many options.

Stoked with my kessil.

Simple, small and has enough punch to carpet.

Gotta extend the budget past the $300 mark tho.

That said everyone along the supply chain has taken a hit, to ensure we are able to retail kessil here at the same cost of importing straight from USA

Edited by Donny@ageofaquariums

Now that is the key as I understand the newish regs in QLD, as an Australian distributor means that they are responsible for ensuring that it complies to Australian rules. This is where the costings get askew comparing to good overseas as Aussie distributors have the same responsibility as a manufacturer, so warranty support and safety to our levels as in the standards is important.

Looking on amazon, the stock is listed in America, that makes it a risk as it has not had to comply to our levels of expectation. I take it the prices you quote are from Australia and not overseas stock....

Regards,

Steve

Green Element Aus.

Finnex via Amazon.

As stated in my other post, i am comfortable with any perceived risks but everyone needs to make their own choice in this regard.

I was hoping Ben (AoA) or another Aus retailer may have been able to supply Finnex locally but to date the only option to purchase one of these is from offshore.

P.S. Like ebay Amazon is not specific to America and has websites for many countries. It pays to be thorough when looking around.

I think the main concern on Finnex from the people I have asked is the Chinese made Epistar emitter. These usually have a lower PUR rating than the more expensive emitters on the market.

The warranty thing has been done to death, but obviously its a risk for a distributor. With the chance to lose a hell of a lot of cash as opposed to someone importing a single light who is only risking hundreds.

To people buying them from overseas on ebay, I would reccomend using the "buy now" option as opposed to the auction....... as this should give you more protection under consumer law. But hey we may yet see Finnex make its way to AOA, the boss does love his surprises!

*PUR is basically the portion of PAR that is useful to photosynthetic plants and corals.

Edited by Donny@ageofaquariums

So many options.

Stoked with my kessil.

Simple, small and has enough punch to carpet.

Gotta extend the budget past the $300 mark tho.

That said everyone along the supply chain has taken a hit, to ensure we are able to retail kessil here at the same cost of importing straight from USA

The Kessil's are cute. So how many would be required to illuminate a high light CO2 injected EI dosed 6x2x2?

I was looking for particularly a picture of the plug as that is a big deal?

Purely out of curiosity and absolutely not thinking about the warranty etc. but why is the plug an issue? As long as the item is within the correct voltage range and does not require the use of an inverter, what's the issue? Is it the extra cost of the adaptor? Or am I missing something else?

I have plenty of aquarium related products including an FX5 I brought over from the US when we moved here several years back.

Some items, including the FX5 run on an inverter, but others are just using an adaptor plug.

So is there an issue I'm unaware of?

Cheers,

Rob

"Yep" isn't very specific.

Without actually disclosing all the exclusions how about the basics like....length of warranty?

Edited by beencees

I also like to add ...

I do see the positives of buying products from stores, such as the forum sponsors, and the service that comes with that. I certainly do spend a packet with two of the major sponsors and continue to do so to support them and also enjoy the timely manner in which I receive my orders (one in particular is ridiculously fast) because without them and LFS we probably wouldn't have a hobby to enjoy.

yep!

untitledkbjnnm.jpg

Hey Donny!! You are doing my head in mate.

I love to figure out angles and approaches people take to situations and your seemingly random images always get me. There has to be some logic there, surely.

I spend too much time attempting to decipher the simile or metaphor associated with your image posts.

So please enlighten me with the hotty on the board? What the???